Flood & Drain is one of the most important techniques in most AquaPonics systems, with the excetion of NFT, where a water film is aimed at and DWC, where the depth of the raceways stays constant.
Growbeds are filled with media to grow the plants in.
These media serve a quintuple purpose:
- to serve as support for the plants.
- to ensure nutrients to be accessible to plant roots.
- to ensure oxygen to be accessible to plant roots.
- to aerate the water flowing back to the fish tank.
- to ensure biofiltration and nitrification to make the water reuseable for the fish.
Flood & drain is used on growbeds to improve the biofilter effect of the media.
These media are colonized by nitrifying bacteria.
To the best of my knowledge the information I present is accurate. All pages on this website © Hygicell 2009